• 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 Cup sugar
• 1/4 Cup unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Dutch-processed)
• 1 Teaspoon baking soda (not baking powder)
• 1/2 Teaspoon salt
• 1 Cup cool water
• 6 Tablespoons vegetable oil (I use avocado oil)
• 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice or distilled white vinegar
• 1 Teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
2. Sift dry ingredients into a bowl and set aside.
3. In a measuring cup combine water, oil, juice or vinegar, and vanilla.
4. Add liquids to bowl and gently stir until there are no lumps (for about 30 seconds).
5. Pour into pan and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Cool completely in the pan and frost, glaze, or dust with powdered sugar
Try it out and relish the cake.